The Cypress College Honors Program is designed to encourage talent and ability in highly motivated students as they begin their academic studies and prepare to transfer to a four-year college or university. Students who complete the Honors Program and meet all major transfer requirements will have priority consideration for admission to specific four-year institutions.
Classes are taught by faculty interested in enriching the students’ academic experience with special projects, readings and class activities. The Program provides a unique, seminar environment with close academic and social interaction with outstanding faculty and other highly motivated honors students. Guest speakers, cultural events and field trips enhance the challenging and creative learning experience.
The Transfer Alliances
Cypress College is a member of the Honors Transfer Council of California. This group has established transfer alliance agreements with four-year colleges and universities.
|ANTH 101HC||Honors Biological Anthropology||3|
|ANTH 102HC||Honors Cultural Anthropology||3|
|ART 112HC||Honors Survey of Art History II||3|
|ASTR 116HC||Honors Introduction to Astronomy||3|
|ASTR 117HC||Honors Astronomy Lab||1|
|BIOL 101HC||Honors General Biology||5|
|COMM 100HC||Honors Human Communication||3|
|COMM 220HC||Honors Rhetoric of the City||3|
|COUN 135HC||Honors Leadership||3|
|COUN 160HC||Honors University Transition||1|
|ECON 100HC||Honors Principles of Economics||3|
|ECON 105HC||Honors Principles of Economics||3|
|ENGL 100HC||Honors College Writing||3|
|ENGL 102HC||Honors Introduction to Literature||3|
|ENGL 103HC||Honors Critical Reasoning and Writing||4|
|ENGL 104HC||Honors Critical Analysis and Literature||4|
|ENGL 125HC||Honors Film||3|
|ENGL 234HC||Honors Shakespeare||3|
|ETHS 101HC||Honors American Ethnic Studies||3|
|GEOG 100HC||Honors World Geography||3|
|GEOL 100HC||Honors Physical Geology||3|
|HIST 110HC||Honors Western Civilizations I||3|
|HIST 111HC||Honors Western Civilizations II||3|
|HIST 112HC||Honors World Civilizations I||3|
|HIST 113HC||Honors World Civilizations II||3|
|HIST 170HC||Honors History of the United States I||3|
|HIST 171HC||Honors History of the United States II||3|
|INDS 120HC||Honors Program Seminar||1|
|MUS 118HC||Honors Introduction to Opera||3|
|PHIL 100HC||Honors Introduction to Philosophy||3|
|POSC 100HC||Honors United States Government||3|
|PSY 101HC||Honors Introduction to Psychology||3|
|PSY 161HC||Honors Probability and Statistics-Social Sciences (Same as SOC 161HC)||3|
|SOC 101HC||Honors Introduction to Sociology||3|
|SOC 161HC||Honors Probability and Statistics-Social Sciences (Same as PSY 161HC)||3|
|THEA 107HC||Honors Diversity in American Theater||3|
Requirements for Entrance
- Minimum 3.25 GPA in high school course work or a minimum of 3.0 GPA in 6 units of college course work, verified by transcripts.
- Eligibility for ENGL 100 C.
- Completion of the Honors Transfer Program application.
To Continue in the Program
- Achieve grades of “C” or higher in all Honors classes.
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in all Cypress College course work.
- Complete a minimum of one Honors Course each semester.
To Complete the Program
- Complete six (6) Honors designated classes for a minimum eighteen (18) units.
- Complete COUN 160HC Honors College/University Transition and INDS 120HC Honors Theme Seminar.
- Complete the requirements necessary to be accepted by the transfer school in your major.
- Complete two extracurricular activities and a Service Learning component each semester.
Benefits for Students while Enrolled
- Increased Scholarship opportunities.
- Small classes with a seminar environment.
- Special counseling and advisement with the Honors Program Director and Honors Counselor.
- Library privileges at transfer colleges and universities.
- Invitation to special Honors Forums, seminars and social events.
- Honors Club Membership.
- Membership opportunities with Alpha Gamma Sigma Honors Society.
Benefits of Completion of the Program
- Priority consideration for admission at the junior level to selected four-year colleges and universities.
- Special recognition at Commencement.
- Honors notation on transcripts.
Applying to the Program
- Submit an application to the Honors Program Office. Applications are available in the Transfer Center or online at www.CypressCollege.edu/academics/specialprograms/honors.
- Submit a current transcript and proof of eligibility for ENGL 100 C.
For more information please contact:
Penny Gabourie, Honors Program Counselor
Kathryn Sonne, Honors Program Director
Honors Program Office is located in the Transfer Center
Located in the Student Center