Veterans and Military Affiliated Students

Cypress College is approved as a degree-granting institution for the attendance of veterans under Title 38, United States Code. This includes the programs covered in Chapters 1606, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 35. The College is also approved to participate in the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver program.

Veterans and/or dependents that plan to enroll in Cypress College and need assistance with their education benefits must visit the Veterans Resource Center (VRC). The VRC is located on the 1st floor of the Cypress College Veterans Resource Center, building 8 room 101. To begin the intake process you must provide your DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Incoming Veterans may be required to enroll in COUN 150 C, Academic and Life Success.

The Veterans Resource Center works closely with Admissions and Records, Academic Counseling, Financial Aid, and various Veteran agencies to provide the Veteran with services contributing to a successful educational experience.

For information regarding:

  • Priority Registration
  • GI Bill® and educational benefits
  • U.S. Vets “Outside the Wire” program
  • Academic Counseling
  • Cypress College Veterans Organization
  • CalVet Fee Waiver Program
  • English and Math Tutoring

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Contact Veterans Resource Center for a list of required documents.

Veterans Resource Center
(714) 484-7150

Veterans Counselor/Coordinator
Juan C. Garcia

Veterans Certifying Official
Nick Gutierrez

Hours of Operation for Fall/Spring1
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Hours of Operation for Summer1
Mon - Thurs 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri Closed

Disabled Veterans: Veterans who qualify for educational benefits as disabled veterans may be entitled to special educational benefits. Veterans should contact:

VA Regional Office
Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024-3602
(800) 827-1000
FAX (310) 235-6640

Veterans with disabilities are encouraged to pursue services offered through Disability Support Services (DSS), located on the 1st floor of the Cypress College Complex. Call (714) 484-7104 for assistance.

Veteran Dependents: Children and spouses of U.S. Veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for waiver of college fees and/or Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (CH 35). For more information visit the Veterans Resource Center located on the second floor of the Cypress College Complex, Room 215. Call (714) 484-7150 for assistance.

Liability: The veteran assumes full liability for any overpayment of veteran’s benefits. All persons receiving educational benefits must see the veteran’s academic counselor and complete a veteran enrollment form (VEF) every semester to continue their benefits. In addition, a Student Education Plan (SEP) must be on file by the end of the first semester; otherwise, certification of VA benefits will be delayed for the second semester. This plan must be developed and reviewed by an academic counselor.

Number of Units Required: The following number of units is required each semester to qualify for educational benefits for educational and training allowance:

CH 33 Post GI Bill1
12 units or more full allowance
9 - 11.5 units 3/4 allowance
6 - 8.5 units 1/2 allowance
2 - 5.5 units 1/4 allowance2

Short-term and summer session courses are computed proportionately for payment purposes.

Withdrawal/Change of Classes: Veterans are required to notify the Veterans Resource Center when they stop attending class, withdraw from the college, or add or drop a class. Such changes should be reported immediately after completing the add/drop procedure through myGateway. Failure to comply with this regulation may result in an overpayment of benefits.

Veterans Academic Progress: A veteran student whose GPA falls below a 2.0 for one semester will be placed on academic probation. Veterans who are on academic probation may have to enroll in COUN 150 C Academic and Life Success, to aid the transition back into college life. If the veteran student continues to have a GPA below a 2.0 for two consecutive semesters they will no longer be able to receive educational benefits until a marked improvement has occurred. Contact the Veterans Resource Center for more information.

Repeated Classes: Veterans may not receive benefits for a repeat of a course in which a grade of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” or “P” has already been earned. Although District policy allows a student to repeat a course in which a “D” grade has been received, the course may be certified for benefits only if this catalog states that a grade of “C” or better in that course is required to earn a degree or meet a prerequisite.

Transcripts: All official transcripts of prior college work and military schools, including copies of form DD214 or DD295 covering all periods of military service, must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office by the end of the first semester of attendance at this college. Certification for benefits for the second semester may be withheld if transcripts are not received. For necessary forms, visit the Veterans Resource Center, located on the second floor of the Cypress College Complex. Call (714) 484-7150 for additional information.