Communication Studies Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
PROGRAM CODE: 2A36916
The Communication Studies Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer, also called the Communication Studies AA-T Degree, prepares students to transfer to CSUs that offer bachelor's degrees in Communication Studies. Ed Code Section 66746-66749 states students earning the Communication Studies AA-T degree will be granted priority for admission as a Communication Studies major to a local CSU, as determined by the CSU campus to which the student applies. Students planning to attend other universities will benefit from this degree, as well. Communication Studies prepares students to identify and solve communication problems, to facilitate effective communication in professional and interpersonal interactions to develop collaborative forms of problem solving and decision making. While a baccalaureate degree is recommended preparation for those considering communication focused careers in fields such as education, training and development, sales, community relations, public relations, the ministry, law, business, entertainment, nonprofit organizations and government, completion of this curriculum will demonstrate commitment to the field and provide comprehensive preparation for upper-division work. This degree requires a total of 19-26 units. *COMM 138 F is a course that may be taken up to four times for two units each time. Students may count up to three units of COMM 138 F in List B of the Communication Studies AA-T.
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees, and there are no additional graduation requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A P (Pass) grade is an acceptable grade for a course in the major only if the P is defined to be equivalent to a C or better.
|Required Courses (4 units):|
|COMM 100 F||Public Speaking||4|
|LIST A - (6-7 units):||6-7|
|Small Group Communication||3|
|Essentials of Argumentation||4|
|LIST B - Select from any course below or one not already listed in LIST A (6-8 units):||6-8|
|Mass Media Survey||3|
or JOUR 110HF
|Honors Mass Media Survey|
|LIST C - Select from any course below or one not already selected in LIST A or LIST B (3 units):||3|
or ANTH 102HF
|Honors Cultural Anthropology|
|Reporting and Writing||3|
or PSY 101HF
|Honors General Psychology|
|Introduction to Sociology||3|
or SOC 101HF
|Honors Introduction to Sociology|