Geology Associate in Science Degree for Transfer
PROGRAM CODE: 2S36883
The Associate in Science in Geology for Transfer (AS-T) Degree, also called the Geology AS-T Degree, prepares students to transfer to CSU campuses that offer bachelor’s degrees in geology. Ed Code Section 66746-66749 states that students earning the Geology AS-T Degree will be granted priority for admission as a Geology major to a local CSU, as determined by the CSU campus to which the student applies. This degree requires students to complete 60 CSU transferable units including completion of CSU GE or IGETC and 26 units in the major with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. Title 5 requires that students earn a grade of C or better in all major coursework. There are no additional graduation requirements. A P (Pass) grade is an acceptable grade for a course in the major only if the P is defined to be equivalent to a C or better. Students with a degree in geology may pursue careers in a variety of industries such as education, environmental technology, mineral (fossil fuels, metals) discovery and extraction, archeology, research, and more. The Geology AS-T Degree requires a total of 26 units of required courses as indicated below. Recommended courses are not required for the degree but are highly recommended if you plan to pursue the Bachelor’s in Science degree in geology.
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees, and there are no additional graduation requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A P (Pass) grade is an acceptable grade for a course in the major only if the P is defined to be equivalent to a C or better.
|Required Courses (26 units):|
|ESC 100 F|
& ESC 100LF
and Physical Geology Lab
|ESC 103 F||Historical Geology||4|
|CHEM 111AF||General Chemistry I||5|
|CHEM 111BF||General Chemistry II||5|
|MATH 151 F||Calculus I (formerly MATH 150AF)||4|
|or MATH 151HF||Honors Calculus I (formerly MATH 150HF)|
|MATH 152 F||Calculus II (formerly MATH 150BF)||4|
|or MATH 152HF||Honors Calculus II|
|Recommended Courses (0-13 units): 1|
or BIOL 101HF
|Honors General Biology|
|General Physics I||4|
|General Physics II||4|
Contact your specific transfer institution for more information.