University of California Transfer Admission Requirements

Admission eligibility requirements for transfer students enrolling at the University of California are similar to the previous year. These requirements apply to students who were not eligible to attend the University as freshmen because they did not meet the freshman Scholarship Requirement. Students in this category must:

  1. Complete 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of transferable college coursework with a grade point average of at least 2.40, and
  2. Complete a course pattern requirement (with a grade of C or better in each course) to include:
    1. Two transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) in English Composition; and
    2. One transferable college course (minimum 3 semester or 4-5 quarter units) in Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning; and
    3. Four transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: Arts and Humanities; Social and Behavioral Sciences; or Physical and Biological Sciences.

The above transfer requirements do not affect students who were eligible for admission to the University when they graduated from high school. In other words, students who have satisfied the Subject Requirement (“a-f” courses), Scholarship Requirement (GPA), and Examination Requirement (SAT I/ACT and SAT II) — all required for freshman admission — are still eligible to transfer if they have a (2.00) average (C) in their transferable college coursework.

Students who met the Scholarship and Examination Requirements but who did not satisfy the Subject Requirement based on their high school record must take transferable college courses in the subjects they are missing, earn a grade of C or better in each of these required courses, and earn an overall C (2.00) average in all transferable college coursework to be eligible to transfer. This means that students entering the University Fall 1998 and thereafter cannot use non-transferable college courses to make-up “a-f” subject omissions. The only way to satisfy this requirement is to use transferable college courses.

Students who met the Subject and Scholarship Requirements, but who did not meet the Examination Requirement, must complete a minimum of 12 semester (18 quarter) units of transferable work and earn an overall C (2.00) average in all transferable college coursework completed. Thus, under these requirements, students need not take the examinations required of freshmen.

It is advisable that students make counseling appointments to review the UC transfer requirements and obtain an educational course plan. Students may contact the Fullerton College Counseling Resource Center or the Cadena/Transfer Center for further University of California transfer information. Many UCs are not currently accepting lower division transfer students.

Language Other Than English

(UC requirement only)

  • Complete 2 years of the same foreign language of high school level work with a grade of C or better; OR
  • Earn a score of 3 or higher in the College Board Advanced Placement exams in language other than English; OR
  • Satisfactory score in the SAT II: Subject Test in languages other than English
    Before May 1995, use the first score; if taken after May 1995, use the second score.
    Chinese with Listening 500/520
    French/French with Listening 500/540
    German/German with Listening 500/510
    Hebrew (Modern) 500/470
    Italian 500/520
    Japanese with Listening 500/510
    Korean/Korean with Listening 500
    Latin 500/530
    Spanish/Spanish with Listening 500/520;


  • Satisfactory score of 5 or higher in the International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examinations in languages other than English; OR
  • Complete 1 course from the courses below:
    CHIN 102 F Elementary Chinese - Mandarin II5
    FREN 102 FElementary French II5
    GERM 102 FElementary German II5
    ITAL 102 FElementary Italian II5
    JAPN 102 FElementary Japanese II5
    PORT 102 F Elementary Portuguese II5
    SPAN 102 FElementary Spanish II5
    or SPAN 102HF Honors Elementary Spanish II
    SPAN 201 F Spanish for the Spanish Speaker5