Grade Change/Appeal Process

The College recognizes the legal right of faculty to set standards of performance and to apply them to individual students. Therefore, the instructor is the final authority in determining grades that are assigned to students and that appear in their permanent academic records. Students have a right to inquire how their grade was determined. Students have the right to have someone accompany them throughout the process. The following procedures apply to changes of grades except for changes of Incomplete (I) and Withdrawal (W) grades.

  1. In general, all course grades are final when filed by the instructor. Students have access to view their final grades on myGateway after the course ends. These grades become a part of the student’s official record.
  2. Students have the right to formally appeal the final grade in a course. Students have the right to have someone accompany them throughout the process. As per California Education Code Section 476224(a), when grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistakes, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final. Appeals are limited to situations in which the student believes the grade is prejudicially, capriciously, or arbitrarily assigned.
  3. A request for grade change should be initiated by the student within the next regular semester, but no later than two years, following the award of the original grade.
  4. If the instructor determines that there is a valid basis for the change, a Request for Grade Change form shall be completed by the instructor in the Office of Admissions and Records.
  5. If the instructor determines there is not a valid basis for the change and denies the student’s request, the student may proceed to the appeals process.

Appeal form must be directed to the instructor of the course and a signed copy maintained by student. If further action is necessary, the student should present the written complaint to the Division Dean, and if necessary, the Vice President of Instruction. (Students are referred to the college’s Student Complaint Procedures as stated in the catalog and available at division offices.) Once the grade appeal request has entered the formal process, it cannot be resolved informally.