Art History Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
PROGRAM CODE: 2A31529
The Art History Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer, also called the Art History AA-T Degree, prepares students to transfer to CSU campuses that offer bachelor's degrees in Art History. Ed Code Section 66746-66749 states students earning the Art History AA-T will be granted priority for admission as an Art History major to a local CSU, as determined by the CSU campus to which the student applies. A bachelor's degree in Art History prepares students for employment in curatorial work for the gallery and museum system. In addition, a bachelor's degree in Art History provides a solid foundation for advanced training in the more technical areas of art restoration and conservation, as well an introduction to art theory, methodology, and criticism – areas of study which are key to studies of art at the post-graduate level. The Art History AA-T Degree program requires a total of 18 units.
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees, and there are no additional graduation requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A P (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for courses in the major.
|Required Core Courses (9 units):|
|ART 112 F||Art History: Ancient to Medieval||3|
|ART 113 F||Art History: Renaissance to Modern||3|
|ART 182 F||Basic Drawing||3|
|List A (3 units):||3|
|Art History: The Art of Mexico||3|
|Art History: The Art of Asia||3|
|Art History: Pre-Columbian Art||3|
|List B (3 units):||3|
|Ceramics: Beginning Handbuilding (formerly ART 150AF)||3|
|Fundamentals of Sculpture||3|
|Beginning Life Drawing||3|
|Introduction to Digital Art||3|
|List C - Select one course from the following or a course from List A or List B not already selected (3 units):||3|
|Art History: Impressionism to Present||3|
|Art History: American Art||3|
|Women in the Arts||3|
Outcome 1: Identify key works of art and architecture from a variety of ancient cultures and understand their significance within a social-political context.
Outcome 2: Identify key works of art and architecture by artists from the Renaissance to the modern era and understand their significance within a social-political context.
Outcome 3: Identify important works of art and architecture from the modern and contemporary periods and understand their significance within a social-political context.
Outcome 4: Identify important works of art and architecture from non-Western cultures and understand their significance within a social-political context.