Academic Renewal Policy

Under certain circumstances, students may elect to have previously completed courses that resulted in substandard grades disregarded in the computation of their grade point average (GPA). To reduce the negative impact of past academic failure, Cypress College supports Academic Renewal defined in accordance with Section 55046, Title 5, California Code of Regulations. Courses used in awarding an associate degree, certificate or transfer certification will not be alleviated.

  • Only units taken at Cypress College may be disregarded. No more than twenty-four units of substandard grades (D, F, NC, and NP) may be disregarded.
  • A minimum of twelve months must have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was recorded.
  • A minimum of twelve units must be completed at Cypress College or any other accredited college or university with a grade point average of 2.5 in all units since the last substandard grade to be disregarded.
  • Courses that meet the present educational goals of the student and that are appropriate for repetition may be exempt from consideration for alleviation.
  • The college may disregard particular previously recorded sub-­standard work in the computation of a student’s cumulative grade point average according to the Academic Renewal procedures.
  • A student may be granted Academic Renewal only once and it is irreversible once posted to the transcript. The substandard grade(s) alleviated will be subtracted from the grade point average; however, they will remain legible on the transcript and annotated to indicate Academic Renewal.
  • Academic Renewal by Cypress College does not guarantee that other institutions outside the District will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institution.


Students must file an Academic Renewal petition with the Admissions and Records Office. The form is available on the college website and in the Admissions and Records Office. If other college coursework will be used to qualify for Academic Renewal, current and official transcripts from all of the accredited colleges must accompany the petition or be on file in the Admissions and Records Office at the time the petition is submitted.