Pass/No Pass Grading

The Pass/No Pass (P/NP) grading option was designed to encourage students to explore courses in areas where they feel they have an interest but no special competence. Some of these courses may be taken for a letter grade.

P/NP is not the same as auditing and students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution should not choose the Pass/No Pass grading option. Many transfer institutions will not accept Pass/No Pass graded courses to be applied toward major, minor and general education requirements. Check the catalog of the transfer institution and/or see a counselor for further information. The following policies govern Pass/No Pass grading at Cypress College:

P — Pass will reflect performance equivalent to a “C” or better under the letter grade system. Pass (P) grades will award units completed but will not be computed into the grade point average.

NP — No Pass will reflect performance not equivalent to a “C” or better under the letter grade system. No Pass (NP) grades will not be counted into the grade point average but will enter into calculations for progress probation and progress dismissal.

  • Students that choose the grade option of Pass/No Pass may enroll in up to six units each semester, however, a maximum of twelve units of Pass/No Pass courses (excluding COUN 140 C and work experience) will be allowed at Cypress College.
  • All units earned as Pass/No Pass shall be disregarded in determining a student’s grade point average at Cypress College.
  • The units earned on a Pass/No Pass basis shall be counted toward the AA or AS 60-unit requirement.
  • If a course is transferable with a letter grade, it may be also transferable with a credit grade subject to the limitations imposed by the transfer institution. See the catalog of the transfer institution and/or a counselor for further information.
  • The option for Pass/No Pass is irreversible once the Pass/No Pass form is processed by the Admissions and Records Office.

A Request for Pass/No Pass form must be completed by the student and instructor. The student must submit the white copy of the form to the Admissions and Records Office by the fifth week of a semester length class and 30% of short term, open entry and Summer classes. If the form is not filed by the deadline, the instructor will be required to assign the student a term grade other than Pass/No Pass.