Grading System

Grades and Grade Point Average

Student performance in courses is indicated below. Grades which carry point value, and which are used in determining the grade point average (GPA), are as follows:

Symbol Definition Grade Points Per Unit
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Satisfactory 2
D Passing, less than Satisfactory 1
F Failing 0

The following are not part of the GPA computation:

Symbol Definition Grade Points Per Unit
P Pass at least satisfactory — units awarded not counted in GPA
NP No Pass less than satisfactory, or failing — units not counted in GPA
W Withdrawal No units granted
UD Ungraded No units granted
EW Excused Withdrawal

The meaning of each symbol is as follows:

A — Superior or Excellent (4 grade points). Honor grade indicating excellence earned as a result of consistently superior examination scores; consistently accurate and prompt completion of assignments; ability to deal resourcefully with abstract ideas; superior mastery of pertinent skills; and promise of success in field relating to the subject.

B — Better than Average — Good (3 grade points). Honor grade indicating competence earned as a result of high examination scores; accurate and prompt completion of assignments; ability to deal well with abstract ideas; commendable mastery of pertinent skills; and promise of continued success in sequential courses.

C — Average — Satisfactory (2 grade points). Standard college grade indicating successful performance earned as a result of satisfactory examination scores; generally accurate and prompt completion of assignments; ability to deal with abstract ideas; average mastery of pertinent skills; and sufficient evidence of ability to warrant entering sequential courses.

D — Less than Satisfactory (1 grade point). Substandard grade indicating the meeting of minimum requirements only earned as a result of low examination scores; generally inaccurate, incomplete or late assignments; inadequate grasp of abstract ideas; barely acceptable mastery of pertinent skills; or insufficient evidence of ability to make advisable the enrollment in sequential courses.

F — Failing (no grade points). Non-passing grade indicating failure to meet minimum requirements earned as a result of non-passing examination scores; inaccurate, incomplete or late assignments; failure to cope with abstract ideas; inadequate mastery of pertinent skills; or repeated absence from class. “F” grades are figured in total units attempted in computing the grade point average.

How to Calculate a GPA

  1. Multiply the grade value of the course by the units attempted for that course. The product of this multiplication will be the grade points.
  2. Divide the cumulative grade points by the cumulative units attempted.


Course Grade Value Multiply Units Attempted Equals GPA HRS (units attempted)
MATH 100 F A = 4 x 4 = 16
ENGL 060 F B = 3 x 4 = 12
GEOG 100 F C = 2 x 3 = 6
PE 215 F D = 1 x 2 = 2
PHIL 100 F F = 0 x 3 = 0
TOTALS: 16 36

Divide 36 (Grade Points column) by 16 (Units Attempted column) and the G.P.A. = 2.25

Pass/No Pass Policy

Courses in which P (Pass)/NP (No Pass) grading is allowed are designated in the class schedule and in the course descriptions in this catalog. P/NP is not the same as auditing.

P — Pass is equivalent to the satisfactory grade of “C.” “P” will award units completed, but will not be computed into the grade point average.

NP — No Pass is a substandard grade, equivalent to the grades of “D” or “F.” “NP” grades will not be computed into the grade point average, but will enter into calculations for progress probation.

If a course is listed in the College Catalog as “Letter Grade or Pass/No Pass Option,” a student choosing to take the course with a P/NP grade must file a “Pass/No Pass Grade Request” form in the Admissions and Records Office no later than the add deadline of the course. Once the request is submitted, the grading option is not reversible. Students may enroll in up to six units each semester in courses with a PASS/NO PASS option.

Students should investigate the policies of the institutions to which they may wish to transfer to determine the acceptability of P (Pass) grades in courses in the student’s major, since many universities and colleges do not accept P (Pass) grades in such courses. Many institutions will consider an NP (No Pass) as a failing grade. Likewise, students planning for graduate work should realize that some graduate schools do not look favorably on P grades.

Non Evaluative Grades

I — Incomplete. Incomplete academic work at the end of the term caused by unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable reasons may result in an “I” symbol being entered in the student’s record. The condition of removal of the “I” and the grade to be assigned shall be stated by the instructor in a written record. This record must be given to the student with a copy on file with the Admissions and Records Office until the “I” is made up or the one-year time limit has passed. A final grade shall be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated or when the one-year time limit for completing the work has passed.

The “I” must be made up no later than one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned. The “I” symbol shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for grade points.

A student may petition for a time extension due to unusual circumstances through the Admissions and Records Office. A student may not re-enroll in a class for which an “I” symbol is shown on the student’s transcript.

IP — In Progress. The “IP” symbol shall be used to denote that the class extends beyond the normal end of an academic term. It indicates that work is “in progress,” but that assignment of an evaluative grade must await its completion. The “IP” symbol shall remain on the student’s transcript in order to satisfy enrollment documentation. An “IP” symbol shall not be used in calculating grade-point averages. The student must register in the same course for the next semester. Failure to do so will result in an assignment of a grade by the instructor in place of the “IP.”

MW — Military Withdrawal. Upon verification of military orders, the symbol “MW” will be assigned to students who are called to military service and withdraw from courses. Military withdrawal shall not be counted in progress probation or dismissal calculations.

RD — Report Delayed. The “RD” symbol may be assigned by the Dean of Admissions and Records only. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. “RD” shall not be used in calculating grade-point averages.

W — Withdrawal. A “W” is a grade indicated when the student has withdrawn from a course. It is not included in the grade point average computation. (See “Withdrawal Policy.”)

EW - Excused Withdrawal. Verifiable documentation must be presented upon petition by the student to Admissions & Records. The symbol "EW" will be assigned to students who are approved via Extenuating Circumstance Petition. Excused Withdrawal shall not count in calculation of probation or dismissal and is not counted as an enrollment attempt for purposes of course repetition. The "EW" symbol does count in the Federal financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Calculations.

Assignment of Grades

The final grade is wholly within the responsibility of the instructor, regardless of whether it is an A, B, C, D, F, P, NP, I, IP or W.

Please Note: In a number of courses, principally in English, foreign languages, science and mathematics, a student may not progress to a more advanced study in a subject in which the student has received a “D” grade.

Non-Degree Credit Courses

Non-degree credit courses are courses that earn credit, but are not counted toward the 60 units required for the associate degree. Non-degree courses are intended to assist students in performing the skills needed for college level courses. Non-­degree courses do apply toward residency, athletic eligibility, work study and financial aid, veteran’s benefits, associated student body office, and full-time status. The degree or non-degree credit status is indicated at the end of every course description.