For the purpose of this policy, a “W” is viewed as an indication that the student has withdrawn from a course without affecting the student’s grade point average. Failure to officially withdraw by the established deadline date may result in the assignment of an “F” grade for the course.
Through 75% of the course, a student may be withdrawn if no longer participating in the course. Definitions of non-participation shall include, but are not limited to, excessive unexcused absences. Refer to the Attendance Policy for additional information.
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITY — While an instructor officially may withdraw a student who has poor attendance, it is the student’s responsibility to withdraw if the student does not continue in attendance. All student withdrawals are to be completed ONLINE through myGateway by the established deadline date. Failure to do so may result in the student receiving a failing grade.
Recording on Transcripts
No “W” shall be recorded on the student’s transcript when withdrawing from a course according to the following guidelines:
- Full Term Courses: withdrawal prior to the third week of the term.
- Short Term Courses (meeting less than the full term length): withdrawal by the 20% point of the length of the course.
A “W” will be recorded on the student’s transcript when withdrawing from a course according to the following guidelines:
- Semester Length Courses: withdrawal during the third week through the 12th week of the term.
- Short Term Courses (courses less than a semester in length): withdrawal after the 20% point through 75% point of the course.
An Excused Withdrawal "EW" occurs when a student is permitted to withdraw from course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student and may include:
- a job transfer outside the geographical region,
- an illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver,
- the student who is incarcerated in a California county jail or state prison and is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term,
- the student is the subject of an immigration action, or
- other extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student affecting his/her ability to complete a course(s).
Verifiable documentation must be presented upon petition by the student to Admissions & Records. The "EW" symbol does not count in calculation of probation or dismissal and is not counted as an enrollment attempt for purposes of course repetition.
NOTE: The "EW" symbol does count in the Federal financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Calculations.
A student should consult with the Financial Aid staff regarding any impact.
Students called to military service during a semester in progress should contact the Admissions and Records Office to have a “MW” (military withdrawal) noted on their academic transcript. A copy of military orders are required.